Day 3 – Home to Doncaster

I woke up very fresh after a very successful nights sleep in a warm bed. The
previous day was spent fixing a variety of issues, but I managed to get the
tracking system working after a couple of further tweaks. I also found out that
the Raspberry Pi Camera and the remote weren’t working because the wires had
been accidentally pulled out. Without coming home it would have been very
unlikely that I would have solved this. Also now it can be independently
connected to my laptop and I can program it whilst on the move.

Other things were fixed and other signs were created for the side to prevent
the taxi to the airport confusion and after two nice strong coffees we were
ready to set off.

Being able to set-off with just the family was a much more pleasant experience
and it felt I could take all the time in the world, as if time didn’t matter. I
gave away a hug and then I waved my family by once again, hopefully, for a much
longer time than a day. It was a much more surreal moment and it was quite
difficult to leave them.

I set off more positively and it was a much greater feeling on the rickshaw,
just by myself, my own pace, my own decisions, without interference.

There was a reversal in the wind direction and yet another head wind but wasn’t
as painful as the launch day. The fields around the River Ouse are flat and
exposed. There remains few focal points except the constant reminder of the
wind with the many wind turbines in our area.

I eventually arrived in Rawcliffe, and by no mere chance I met one of my old
teachers from Howden School, Ms Pinkney – or the art teacher. I don’t believe
in coincidences but I could instantly recognise her voice. It was great to tell
her about this adventure and just catchup. I was most surprised to hear she
was still at the school. She also wishes my brother to keep up and be successful
at golf!

That was something that particularly cheered me up alot and was a very nice
motivator progressing into the distance. Towards Doncaster was a mixture of
light hills. Having not eaten well from the previous day, I was quite tired and
lacked the energy, but after a while this faded and even the hills were not as
intimidating as once before.

I took odd moments to take photos and chill out in the back seat and eat the
many snacks that my mother made and work my way through a big bottle of Tango.

I arrived past the race course and it was race day. I decided to head into the
town centre, and just show my presence. I didn’t feel up to taking passengers –
especially drunk women and just wanted to relax a bit before the last stretch
in the evening. I didn’t feel ready with my current strength to take people up
the slopes between the racecourse and the city centre.


At the Tourist Info, I had a really nice chat to the advisor who really liked
the idea – apparently I’m on their Facebook page. They kept saying we should have
one of these here.


After briefly exploring the continental market, and talking to a nice French
guy who wished me well with the ‘slow life’ I set off to Bawtry down to the
former A1 road – apparently a former roman road. It had a few undulations but
but had a kind gradient. The crest of the hills glistened quite nicely in the
evening sun.




I eventually arrived in Bawtry, and found a local library – by chance open late
on a Thursday. What luck! So here I am now writing away this rather long blog

I was kindly offered a place to sleep in a place in a back garden which made
things a lot easier rather than having to search for a place myself. I even
was treated to some breakfast this morning.

I will be heading towards Worksop towards
Nottingham, missing out the rather steep hills of Sheffield.